Sunday, August 15, 2010

Greets from Sweden...

Almost three full days from Sverige and its due time for another addition to this story line...
Firstly, helsa vran sverige (welcome from Sweden). Its a warm sunny twenty plus degree's, the sun and shining and the population is smiling. Sweden in late summer is a fantastic place. Apparently one must enjoy the days like this, as they are few and far between...
Now, to get into the story line.
There was a teary good bye from a chilly Johannesburg on the 12th of August. Dad, mom, sister and brother were all at the airport to wish me off. It was tough saying good bye, but I am sure it was tougher being the ones staying behind :)
The flight was pretty full, but uneventful. Two painkillers and a glass of Turkish wine is enough to ensure a good nights sleep on the plane, so that lesson goes down into sounds travelers advise.
Istanbul Airport is a bustling area filled with interesting sights and languages from across the globe. Interesting place indeed, and it has starbucks coffee, winner winner!.
My first taste of fooling officials was a rather strange affair. When I had checked in, I was sitting next to an iraqi gent, who had been living in Sweden for over 6 years. Officials came checking passports, and after seeing my swedish one, checked out the iraqi's swedish passport. Upon questioning him in English, they realised this was fruitless as he understand bugger all, and told me to translate...in swedish...
Now my swedish is better than his english, but by no means good...and there I was, three Turkish officials telling me to translate into swedish!! Anyway, after exhausting my swedish vocab (about 2 sentences) and mumbling something in bad afrikaans, we came to an understanding, that the Iraqi's passport was legit, and I admitted to the officials, that he can speak swedish better than I can. I tell you, any time I want to go to Iraq I will have a friend for life...(Fallafels, anyone)

Arriving in Sweden was an uneventful affair, but the bus from the airport to was great. First world public transport is brilliant. And if any one wants to travel in style, and safely, I have happened to notice a Volvo Limosine that you can be ferried around in...yes, a VOLVO limo...only in Sweden folks...

Saturday was a great family day with the Swedish connections. We spent the day at their holiday home in Angslycken, which, is a piece of heaven. We picked kanterell (wild mushrooms, and I am not allowed to tell you where, according to Swedish custom). A sauna and swim in the lake is a recepie for happiness...

Now, before wrapping up, I have had an epiphany. I know now, why the Swedish population of roughly 9 million people, have accomplished so much. Its simple really. Its a four letter word, and I will share it with you. Are you ready? Its: Fika.
Any nation, that can break for a coffee break, but have as strong coffee (no sugar) and as often as the swedes, they too will accomplish much. The swedes are on a constant caffine high from all their fika. For this reason, they are so productive. This I am sure of...

Anyway, Sweden is a great nation, beautiful in country and people. Its not all snow and ice, the sunshine can be warm. And everything works..
And I would love to share more, but its time for another fika...
Hej då

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are getting into the fika vibe, what with starting at Istanbul starbucks and all...
    LOVED the Iraqui story. Go, Andrew!

    Halsa till alla, have a great first week. Love you!

    ReplyDelete