Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Norland and Östersund


The day of arrival to Ösersund finally arrived, with little fanfare from the maddning crowd. The drive up, of roughly 580 kilometres too aproximatly 8.5 hours, but was a stunning drive indeed. Its strange to see how the landscape changes as one drives up in lattitude. The landscape becomes more undulating, the tree’s shorter, having downward facing leaves for snow. More and more it becomes, almost, polar, if I dare to say.

Its still a strikingly beautiful place, with unmapped forests, lakes, strewn accross the landscape, and close to my estimate of 32 different types of green...its going to be interesting in winter, with 1 type of white...

The town of Östersund is a long stretched out town, hugging the edge of a large, fresh water lake, Storjön (For the english speakers, its pronounced stor-ghuun, with a soft “g”, as...oh never mind). With a population of roughly 55 000 people, its the biggest town in the Norland (northen to central part of Sweden) and has all the necessary ammenities one needs in a big city. Google it, its a pretty good looking town. The fact that its symbol is a snowflake in the shape of the heart, does give away that its geared for winters...hrmmm.

This city is also located the the district of Jämtland. Which apparently wants to be a republic, they have their own flag etc etc, like the republic of Hout bay, only much MUCH bigger...they are crazy these people, I’m putting it down to too long winters that they have this idea J

I am now officially the proud owner of a rented apartment...if that means something to you, but in my mind it does. Its 20 square metres, has green wallpaper..but is mine to rent for as long as I want. I have a bed, desk, chairs, bookshelves, a now equiped kitchenette...and a place to call my own. Pictures to follow when I figure out how to work camera’s, cables, pasting and transferring, in swedish...

Saturday was spent with Ruth and Håkan being a tourist in a stunning land, driving to the ski hot spot of sweden, Åre (its also worth a google), pretty nice to see in summer might I add. We also went to see a few natural wonders, in summer time, with no ice, snow and 1 colour scheme...it will be good to see at another time, another season I am sure.

I have been on the lookout for a church and decided to visit one this morning. The church claimed to have a preacher from Tanzania that sunday, promising I thought, as it might be in English...turned out to be a Swahili message, translated into swedish...so it was essentially, the same message twice, in languages that I am not quite sure of either...intereseting I tell you...but nice church nonetheless, very friendly...

And this is a sunday evenings wrap up, more info to follow in the week, as I set up more of a life in Sweden...we are in the place, I can see the university...and only God know’s the future...here’s the the next chapter of this nordic chronicle...

Andrew...


No comments:

Post a Comment